Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My version of Maid Rites

Unless you are from IA, you may not know what Maid Rites are.  My parents are both from IA, and my mom grew up near Muscatine, where Maid Rites are from.   Naturally, she figured out how to make our favorite food, which just happens to be totally allergy friendly for us!  

This is what ours look like.  Of course, if you get them at a Maid Rite Diner, they come on a bun, with fries, a pickle, and ketchup and mustard if you like.  I like ours on fresh homemade bread, and I usually top mine with a bit of mayonnaise, and a few dill pickle slices if I am in the mood for them.     

Maid Rites
1 lb ground pork
salt
pepper
minced garlic
1/2 finely minced onion
dash of celery salt

Combine everything in a skillet, breaking up meat as it cooks.  

See?  Simple!!!   Maybe it's just an IA thing, but I think they are totally yummy!!!!

2 comments: