Sunday, September 9, 2012

Energy Bites - Two Versions

I decided to make Energy Bites to take with us yesterday when we went to the air show in Waukegan.  Of course I had to modify recipes, and I found out that I didn't have any safe carob chips (see previous post) so I did what any good allergy mama does.  I improvised and reworked and came up with two  yummy recipes for energy bites - one for Mandie, and one for the rest of us.  Both are gluten, dairy, corn, and soy free, Mandie's are of course free of palm, coconut, chocolate, almonds, peanuts, oats, honey,  sunflower, etc.     Needless to say, they were a HUGE hit!  I do think that the next time I do the regular ones I may decrease the oats by 1/4 -1/2 cup to add shredded coconut. 

ENERGY BITES

2 cups Bob's Red Mill Quick Cooking oats
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup chia seeds
1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
2 tsp. pure vanilla (homemade)
dash of salt

Combine ingredients in a bowl.  Using wet hands and a plastic spoon, form into small balls.  Place on waxed paper to set up before storing in an airtight container.








CAROB ENERGY BITES

1 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes
1/2 cup homemade cashew butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup carob powder
1 tsp. homemade vanilla
dash of salt

With wet hands and plastic spoon, form into small balls.  Let set up on waxed paper before storing in an airtight container.       

To me, these smell like Larabars.  Mandie adores them!   

Linked to: Whole Food Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment